Wednesday, September 14, 2011

"Not all those who wander are lost"- J R.R. Tolkien

I recall seeing this on somebody's Facebook status not to long ago and I found that this so true. My son is a total free-spirit. I observe him testing boundaries and learning more about the world around him and well as more about his abilities. I believe inherently children wander as they try to see where they fit into the world around them. I, on the other hand, am not so spontaneous by nature. However, it has been the spontaneous journeys I have ventured on with other people that have broadened my horizons.

I also reflect on my journey to this stage in life and realized that by "chance" everything has happened for a reason. I initially thought I would become an architect and received a scholarship to Ball State University. Within the first month I realized it wasn't truly my passion. I was driven to the science and health care in general. Thankfully I had taken all those AP science courses in high school. Then I thought I would go to medical school and when I didn't score so well on the MCAT I decided maybe public health was the better option. After one semester at GW, again, I change to health services administration Thankfully I had also studied business/medical anthropology, psychology, and worked in a business environment throughout undergrad. These experiences prepared me for life in the more social sciences that eventually led me to the NIH.

Upon reflecting, my life plan looks nothing like I would have intended and that's a good thing. Being open to changes makes life interesting. Through these challenges and learning curves, like my son, I have learned more about my strengths and weaknesses. So I challenge you to wander and see where God takes you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment